Thursday, December 29, 2011

Homemade Yogurt

We use a lot of yogurt. Mostly for smoothies, but we enjoy eating it as well. I generally find good coupon deals on it. But after reading a blog post on how to make homemade yogurt I decided to try it. I think it will turn out being very cost effective.

I've been wanting to try this for awhile. Finally got around to it yesterday.
It was actually very simple.

The crock pot definitely makes it easy to heat the milk.

 Mix in yogurt and thickener. (Next time I will not use a whole package of gelatin).
Insulate and let it sit! Easiest part :)
In the morning, the yogurt was a bit thicker than I expected (due to too much gelatin). I realize now, after the fact, I could have left it like this and not strained it.

I strained and left in refrigerator about an hour or so longer than I needed to. Producing  very thick yogurt.


To smooth it down a little bit I ended up mixing in store-bought yogurt, mixing well in my KitchenAid, and adding a little cream.

Even though I learned not to use as much gelatin, and next time I might just try powdered milk, I'm pretty happy with how my yogurt turned out. With adding yogurt, and cream, I ended up with two, 32oz cartons of thick yogurt! And a very small amount of, gelled whey!

It tasted good! And am looking forward to enjoying it! I even made a blueberry-banana smoothie!
(The good thing about it turning out too thick, is that it doesn't make a difference blended up in a smoothie)! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment