Thursday, March 1, 2012

This week's shopping (no coupons used)

Today I made a quick run to my local grocery store - that being the one 1.5 minutes from my house. The little, small town grocery store which usually has a poor selection and overpriced items. I shop here when I really need something, occasionally get fresh produce and dairy products and similar items that have a short shelf life.

They do occasionally have good sales. I pick up their ad when I buy the paper just to see if there is anything on sale at a decent price that I need or use.

This week they are having their case-lot sale. They do these 2-3 times a year. Last year (October) I stocked up on canned foods. I still have quite a bit of it left. I was planning on picking up a few things that I needed this week, but not whole cases of any of it.

My husband always picks out the Apple Cinnamon flavored Instant Oatmeal packets out of the variety pack box for his breakfast in the morning. During cold weather months we like a hot breakfast. We like to keep Instant oatmeal on had for backpacking trips, or in case of emergencies since they are a quick, easy, and lightweight food items that only requires water to make.
Since he likes the apple flavored oatmeal so much I decided to use a recently found recipe for Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal mix. That way we can save the instant stuff for camping or whatever.
So yesterday I dried 10 apples, diced up, with my dehydrator. (which was reduced down to exactly 1 glass quart canning jar of dried, diced apples - pretty cool)!
I made it today, and realized I didn't have enough quick-cooking oatmeal (though I had plenty of flavored instant oatmeal packets).
I remembered large cans of oatmeal were on sale this week. So I pulled out the ad to see what else was on sale.

All that to say, I did a quick shopping trip today, and saved over 30% without using any coupons!!


25lb bag Flour $9.99
Seasoning & Sauce mix packets $0.33 each
Saltines $1.50
Ketchup 24oz. $0.99
Oatmeal $1.99

Spent: $23.93
Saved: $12.16

*I plan on trying the Apple-Oatmeal mix in the morning. Will let you know how it turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment