Thursday, March 15, 2012

Training Body and Spirit


I've been thinking about these verses today:

1 Corinthians 9:24-27

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

I thought a lot about what purpose we have for anything we do in life.

As I train, prepare, and look forward to participating in the Tough Mudder race this fall, this verse made me consider a few things.

"All the runners run, but only one receives the prize"
Am I merely participating? Or am I striving for a "prize" am I focused on a specific goal?

"...so run that you may obtain it..."
This requires determination, serious and specific training. When one has a goal, they do what it takes to obtain it.

"...every athlete exercises self control in all things...but I discipline my body and keep it under control..."
Control over all things. Disciplined, consistent training. They make training a priority.
Not just physical training. But proper nutrition and diet, adequate rest and healthy habits. Self control in all things must take place in order to obtain your goal & win the prize.

 "... I do not run aimlessly..." 
Again, a purpose and goal that one is striving toward.



These verses also have a spiritual application.

"All the runners run, but only one receives the prize"
All men participate in the race of life. Not all receives the prize of eternal life.

"...So run that you may obtain it..." 
Run as one worthy of your calling as a Child of God. Live in obedience to God because of His grace given to you.

"every athlete exercises self control in all things... I discipline my body to keep in under control..."
Self control being part of the Fruit of the Spirit. Discipline or Teach your mind to be focused on the truth of God's Word and practice self control by walking in the Spirit.

"I do not run aimlessly..."God has a purpose for our lives. We must live according to His will. Not merely go through each day aimlessly but strive and work toward knowing and obeying God.

"...They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable... lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified."
Unlike physical training, our Spiritual goal is imperishable. And we must be disciplined and self controlled so that we are disqualified by our witness and testimony.
If we do not practice what we preach, and our lives don't give evidence to what we say we believe our witness is disqualified.



No comments:

Post a Comment