Thursday, October 27, 2011

Autumn morning hike

Wednesday morning my husband and I took a day hike up a canyon outside town. A quick 30 minute drive to the canyon, and a 4 mile hike round trip! 
The night before as we got our day packs ready, we were aware it was expected to be a very cold day. High temperatures were expected to be in the 50's. 
I enjoy hiking, but like the conditions to be just-so. I was afraid it would a bitterly cold, miserable hike. (Not to mention I would most likely be very sore from my 3 mile run the day before).
We bundled up in thermal base layers, long sleeves, scarves & jackets. 

Contrary to what I had expected it was a gorgeous morning! It was cold, but warm clothing makes all the difference. We were quickly shedding jackets just after the first half mile. With a clear blue sky, no wind, and accelerated heart-rates we kept very comfortable!

I am soo pleased we did take a hike! The autumn colors were breath-taking! And the time together and conversation was wonderful!





My favorite part was walking over a blanket of bright colored leaves and hearing them crunch under my feet. That, combined with listening to the clear, spring water running down the canyon I was overwhelmed with the beauty that surrounded me.





The striking contrast of bright, bold colors against the brown, high desert, sage brush-covered hills. 

It was a glorious morning! I quickly forgot how cold it was and couldn't get enough of the autumn beauty! 

No one but my God could paint such a unique, lovely picture! The beauty of His creation never ceases to amaze me! I am in awe and humbled every time I get out and behold His handiwork.

"By the Word of the LORD the heavens were made;
and by the breath of his mouth all their host.
He gathers the waters of the sea as a heap; 
he puts the deeps in storehouses.

Let all the earth fear the LORD; 
let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him!
For he spoke, and it came to be;
he commanded, and it stood firm."
Psalm 33:6-9

No comments:

Post a Comment